Sunday 22 June 2014

How to win battle against multinational brand

I shocked when service center(SC) informed me that the Laptop I gave them for repair will not we considered under free warranty service. I was on the verge to lose approximate 10K to 12K inr.

But, then I decide to go on war for my right as a consumer.

So this is what happened. One shiny day I tried to turn on my laptop, but it was in lazy mood and resisted to boot up and denied his master's commands. So, I tool this little prick to the SC to teach him some discipline.

The SC technicians did some initial tests on it and asked me to leave the Laptop with them for further investigation and repair. I complied with them, took receipt and got back to my home.

Then few days later I received a call from SC that they wan't be able to repair the laptop under warranty because Lenovo Technical Support Desk(TSD i.e. the Lenovo phone helpline) has denied to provide part under warranty. When I asked what is the exact issue, they mentioned that the Mother Board of PC is burnt and it is not covered under warranty. I kept my cool and asked for SC 's conversation details with TSD.

From this conversation I get to know that if I had to prove my point that my laptop must be covered under free warranty, I had to deal with TSD.

Then I read the warranty document very carefully and understood that weather this part (Mother Board) is under warranty or not. And of course it was covered.

Now, I knew that I am right and TSD can't deny service if I press the issue hard, very hard.

So, I decided to confront Lenovo from all direction as follows.



1) I started calling TSD on their phone line for the exact reason for not providing me service. They repeated the same line "Sir, It's not covered under warranty. All we can do is to pass this issue to EXPERT TEAM." I registered service request and compliant request here.

2) I started Email chain to claim my free service to TSD and CC'ed the conversation to their officials. I gave clear notice that if my issue will not be resolved with peace,I will go to consumer rights protection institute, consumer court. TSD replied with the document I already went through and said that according to this policy document they can't provide service to me. Now that was jackpot for me, as I already knew that there is nothing like this in the document. So, I quoted some policy terms in the document which mentioned that my whole product will be under free warranty, parts and service. I also quoted cases under which my laptop can't be covered under warranty and asked TSD to verify the same with SC.

3)I posted my query on akosha.com with free account. Just after two days, I got response from Lenovo that they will investigate this issue and will get back to me on high priority base.

4) I posted a tweet about my issue with proper hash tags and mentioning Lenovo. I got two re-tweets.  Though my tweet wouldn't have reached more than 500 people, but I had good hope.


All these was happening simultaneously.

And finally, after all these efforts, I got what was mine. TSD agreed to provide free parts and service and writing this blog with the same laptop.

I am posting this for welfare of those who has taken bow from all these brands by not delivering what was promised by them while purchasing their product. Also, you may apply same strategy against any other brand who denies your right as a consumer.

Cheers.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment